From the Heart – Schools Project
Leadership and Philanthropy Award
The Behring Family has announced the creation of the Leadership and Philanthropy Award (LPA) established to recognize the teachers and students who have demonstrated a superior commitment to the From the Heart – Schools Project. By providing a monetary award to help offset the cost of participating in a wheelchair distribution, Ken Behring and his family hope to encourage and help develop our future leaders and philanthropists.
The parameters of the Leadership and Philanthropy Award are as follows:
- One Elementary School, one Middle School and one High School will each receive a $2,000 award to be used to help offset the cost of participating in a wheelchair distribution.
- The winning school at each level will be determined by the highest average dollar amount raised per student enrolled as compared to all other schools at that level.
- At the High School level the award is intended to be shared equally by one teacher and one student to help offset their cost of attending a wheelchair distribution.
- At the Middle School and Elementary School level the award is to be shared equally by two teachers to help offset their cost of attending a wheelchair distribution.
- The winning schools will be determined by the Wheelchair Foundation based on money received by June 1, 2015 in order to allow time to make travel arrangements. Donations, however can still be turned into the Foundation through the middle of June.
- The Principal at each of the three winning schools will work with the Wheelchair Foundation to make the determination as to which teacher(s) and student should receive the award. The trip is not a school sponsored activity. The parents of the students will work with the Foundation to arrange for the trip if they wish for their child to attend. The teacher will attend the trip on their own time and not as a school activity.
- If a teacher and/or student from the winning school is unable to attend the distribution, the Foundation will work with the Principal to identify deserving students / teachers at other schools.
- The wheelchair distributions for 2014 – 15 will be to Peru. They will take place during the summer of 2015 and will likely be from a Wednesday to Monday. Check the “2015 Distribution Trips” tab for updates as they become available.
Note: For purposes of determining the winning school at the High School level, the amount raised and the number of students for the following schools will be combined. If one of these combinations is the winner of the LPA the two Principals will work together to select the teacher and student.
- Village High and Amador Valley High
- Venture High and Dougherty Valley High